Sunday, March 1, 2009

Raptor Trail



Lars pulls out an old photo. On 12/12/05, I was in the fields between Idylwilde Farm and Guggins Brook/Acton, the day after about a foot of powder snow had fallen. I came on two different print sites where a raptor had "grabbed a bite." The wing prints were dramatic. I am very happy to publish these photos on this blog. Until now, these photos have sat on my hard drive collecting digital dust.

I was going to title this post "Raptor Grab". But then I looked up "rapio," the Latin derivative of raptor (verb - to snatch, grab, carry off). So, I didn't want to be repetitive, or redundant. Ideas of species? Sorry, no reference measure. See the vegetation in the background of the photo for scale.

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful pictures, but I can't say for sure what made those marks without measurements. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about birds can help. Wendy?

    When photographing feather marks, it's helpful to take a photo showing size of foot and orientation of toes, as well. From what is shown, I cannot even say raptor for sure -- why not a crow? Maybe it's possible to rule those out, and I just don't know how.

    ReplyDelete