Saturday, March 3, 2012

Raccoon drowns my wildlife camera

For the last few weeks, I've had several cameras set up around a rabbit
carcass on the edge of a frozen pond near my house. I recently moved
another camera there, and wedged it under a fallen log to get close-up
videos of the night-time visitors.

Unfortunately, the warm weather melted most of the ice, and a curious
raccoon knocked the camera over and into the melt water. When I
retrieved it this morning, I watched as two cups of swamp water drained
out of the bottom of the camera housing. I pulled the batteries, dried
it off, and put the entire camera into a bag of rice to absorb moisture.
I doubt the camera will be salvageable, but at least the memory card
recorded the final video this camera took. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwbLOdbtgBI

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your camera, but come on...that's pretty cool! I like that idea of wedging it on ground level, I always strap mine to a tree.

    ReplyDelete