Saturday, June 12, 2010

Barred Owls


An adult barred owl flew out in front of me yesterday as I was leaving my shed at the edge of the woods. I watched it land on a branch nearby, where it appeared to be observing something on the ground. Within a couple of minutes, it silently dropped down and captured a mouse. The owl then flew to another part of the woods, where I saw it join up with its baby, who'd been crying out for food for the previous hour or so. (I had looked and looked, trying to find the source of that strange, raspy noise.)
The adult owl then left again to hunt and within a few minutes it started to return with a full-sized squirrel in its talons. That didn't work out too well, and the squirrel dropped with a thump to the ground and ran off. Attached is a photo of the young owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment